Friday 7 March 2014

Daycare Lunch Sandwich Alternatives For Toddlers

My 3 year old doesn't like sandwiches much yet.  So I've become a little creative when packing her Daycare lunch box.  She's into sushi, and mini Nori Rolls are a regular.  If you haven't seen my posting on Nori Rolls Bento style lunches it's here: Nori Rolls For Daycare I pack her sushi lunches like this one with Tuna and crispy noodles:


I know not everyone is a fan of sushi rolls, and as you might tell by the colourful look of the lunches I pack we are big on variety.  So here are some pictures and descriptions of some of the resent sandwich alternative, non-sushi lunches I've packed her. The meals are also nut free as required by the Childcare centre.

Below is a divided lunch box with chopped roast chicken and plain boiled pasta in one side.  The other has a fried egg and vegetables - Boiled beans, broccoli and carrot and cherry tomato. 

Everything is cut into pieces perfect for little fingers.  My daughter doesn't mind this type of lunch straight from the fridge, she'll happily eat it cold.  I prefer if it's warmed for about 15 seconds in a microwave, ideally.

Separately I've packed seasonal fruit and berries.  I love to contrast the colours so my daughter has fun choosing which colour and flavour she'd like to try next.  I also find watermelon balls, berries and grapes the perfect size for a toddler to manage.  I like it how packing a lunch like this requires no unwrapping, no paper, foil or plastic wrap - no rubbish to put away, and that this style of lunch provides a lot of good healthy food choices in toddler portions.

  
Another chicken lunch alternative is to serve it with rice and some crackers as per below:

 
While my daughter doesn't like a sandwich she'll eat other dough products such as Croissants.  So occasionally I'll pack a mini-croissant or even a plain pancake and fresh fruit in her lunch, or for her morning tea as shown in the photos below:
 

 
Devon roll with mini croissant and raw fruit and vegetables.
 
 
Morning Tea: Fruit - Strawberries and grapes, and cherry tomatos.  Pretzels and a small plain pancake (Could be replaced by a mini fruit muffin).
*Usually my lunches are 100% free of wrapping but if I am preparing the meal the day before I'll cling wrap baked goods overnight to keep them fresh. 
 
I've found being creative, by packing small portions of a variety of reasonably healthy food options my daughter has fun choosing from the selection of choices.  It also encourages her to try new foods and to enjoy a variety of fruit and vegetables. 

Serving up lunch at home can produce an even better result than what you can sometimes present in a lunchbox.  Just look at this cute lunch I made quickly and easily with a boiled egg, crumbed chicken sticks and the fruit and vegetables I had on hand:



If you like this page please share it using the share buttons below!

No comments:

Post a Comment